At Longreach Caravan Park last week I had an encounter with ants whose identity is yet to be determined [note from Kirsti – they are most likely ginger ants, also known as the tropical fire ant, Solenopsis geminata].
This is the story.
We were sitting in our camp chairs at the camp kitchen in the caravan park in Longreach. It was a free sausage sizzle.
I went to get a drink at our van, which was about 25m away. I came back to the table and put my drink down, then dragged my chair towards the table. I took my hand off the chair and looked down to see my hand was covered in ants. I yelled because they started biting me, and it felt like a stinging tree even though I had never been stung by one!
Dad pulled the ants off my hand and arm and we saw that they were all over my chair. I screamed and started hitting my legs because ants were on them too. Dad rushed me to the boys shower because he wasn`t allowed in the girls! I started itching myself all over to see if there were any more ants.
Back in the van dad put soothing cream on my bites and we checked the van for ants. It hurt a lot. I`d avoid any ant bites if I were you.
Bye for now Mia